Many residents of Tallahassee, Florida who are interested in the Certified Nurse Aide training, can find CNA schools near them. Several facilities are offering nurse aide training programs that they can enter if they qualify. Most of the CNA classes only take 4 to 10 weeks to complete. A CNA can earn between $11 to $16 an hour.
The Basic Requirements for CNAs.
If you are interested in taking part of the CNA classes or training, you must first meet a certain set of prerequisites. The following are some of the most basic requirements you will need:
- Have a high school or a GED equivalency diploma.
- Undergo a physical examination and pass it with a clean bill of health.
- Provide proof of immunization.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Provide proof of U.S. residency or Citizenship.
- Go through a criminal background check using fingerprints to make sure your record is clean.
- Take a TB and hepatitis test for which Negative results are required.
Once you have met those requirements, there will be the total hours of CNA training you need to accumulate. In Florida, the total hours of training required are 120. There are 40 hours you must obtain from lab and clinical experience. The other 80 are from classroom lessons.
The Role for a Nurse Aide
Every CNA will have a set of duties he or she must carry out daily. It is important for a nurse aide to enjoy working with people and helping them. The following are some of the most important duties of a CNA.
- Take the vital signs of a patient.
- Serve patients their meals and assist them with eating them if necessary.
- Answer a patient’s calls.
- Restock rooms with supplies when necessary.
- Provide bedpans which must be cleaned when required.
- Help lift patients in and out of wheelchairs, beds, exam tables and other places.
- Act as a liaison between the patients and the nurses and doctors.
- Gather information about the conditions of each patient from professional nurses, doctors and caregivers.
- Clean and sanitize each patient’s area.
- Assist patients with bathing and getting them dressed.
- Make sure the beds are changed and clean.
- For patients who are bedridden, or cannot move, turn or reposition them when needed.
To get started on the process for becoming a Certified Nurse Aid in the state of Florida, find a CNA school near you today.